Waldorf Q - Pitch Bend Issue

More
1 year 11 months ago #1 by BirdBrain
Hello Waldorf Forum

I recently took ownership of a Waldorf Q (Blue Gray scheme).
I am located in Australia. The instrument came from Germany.

On receiving and checking the instruments functionality I found that pitch bend is malfunctioning.
Bending pitch down works as it should. The released wheel springs back to center and pitch returns to normal.
Bending pitch up works as it should until the wheel is released. The wheel springs back to center position however the actual pitch slowly slides towards normal pitch whilst never latching to normal pitch as set for the keyboard. From that point notes are out of assigned tuning and the unit must be powered on and off in order to restore proper tuning.

Though there is a designated Australian distributor for Waldorf products there does not appear to be a designated repair agent. Most bothersome. Its a fine instrument worthy of maintenance. How do I get this instrument repaired?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #2 by Karsten
The center point of the pitch/mod unit seems to be out of center position. I´ve attached a picture. This is the center position of both pots. If the center is right, the pot is defective.
It should be easy to check this, you can ask your local muic instrument repair shop.

(the pic is from a Blofeld, but the Q has same pot with same center position)
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Karsten.

More
1 year 11 months ago #3 by BirdBrain
Thank you Karsten for this pointer.

Not returning to center/normal pitch is part of the issue.
The other anomaly is that having bent pitch up with the wheel returned to center position pitch then slowly drifts down toward center/normal pitch - an erroneous behavior akin to a slow descending portamento. Most strange.

I'm also thinking I can establish whether its a wheel-data transmission issue or a software issue by setting up the Waldorf Q as a controller and checking whether operating the Qs pitch bend wheel sends correct MIDI data to the external instrument.

Will update.
Thanks again.